The 2019 Special Olympics Summer Games will take place June 7–9 in Terre Haute, on and around the campuses of Indiana State University and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. Special Olympics Indiana will be celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, with plenty of special activities and celebratory events in our plans. With that in mind, we need the support of our volunteers this year more than ever as we work together to ensure that this year’s Summer Games are not only our biggest ever, but also our best!
Below you will find information on how to register to volunteer for different jobs we need help with around Terre Haute. Please read through the instructions as it will detail how you need to register with the new system we are using. This registration will provide us all the important information we need, such as email, cell phone number for emergency event text communication, T-shirt size, and volunteer availability.
Note: If you’re interested in bringing a large group to volunteer, please contact Kevin Aders to discuss.
Please click the button below to access our new Volunteer Registration System.
Select “Register Now,” then select the blue box that says “General Volunteer.”
Follow the instructions on the page and choose the job and shift you are interested in. After you have made your selections, please take the time to create an account so we can get updated information for our records. If you have previously created an account through TRS, please simply login instead.
New this year: you have the opportunity to donate $10.00 to help offset the cost of your volunteer t-shirt. This is entirely voluntary. If you choose not to, simply select “I do not wish to make a purchase at this time.” and continue registering. For our 50th Anniversary we are also planning to provide a uniform for each of the athletes attending Summer Games. You have the option to make a $25.00 donation to help purchase one uniform. Neither of these is required. You can select the “not at this time” option and continue through the registration.
After you register you will receive a confirmation email (please check your spam or junk folder as necessary). More information will be sent once you are registered and the event draws near. Feel free to contact Volunteer Coordinator Lindsay Blythe or Central Regional Manager Kevin Aders with any questions.
All volunteers will receive a volunteer t-shirt when they check in at the event. Volunteers are asked to please wear this shirt while working at Summer Games as it helps athletes and coaches identify who our volunteers are. We suggest that you wear khaki shorts and comfortable shoes, as you will be on your feet!
All volunteers must check in at their designated registration location before they begin volunteering. At check-in, volunteers will be asked to show a photo ID before receiving a T-shirt and Summer Games credential. Upon registering, volunteers will receive additional instructions and directions to their assigned venue.
Once you receive your assignment, consult the table below for registration and parking information. Parking is available on a first come, first served basis.
Directions to Indiana State University from Indianapolis:
- Take Interstate 70 West out of Indianapolis.
- Take exit 7 (US Highway 41 North) and turn right (north) onto US 41 (US 41 becomes Third Street).
- Take Third Street into town; turn right onto Cherry Street.
- Travel two blocks and turn left on Fifth Street to enter campus.
Directions to Collett Park from Indiana State University Campus:
- From Fifth Street go north 1.5 miles from campus to Maple Avenue.
- Turn right onto Maple and go two blocks to Seventh Street.
- The entrance to Collett Park is located at the corner of Seventh and Maple.
Directions to Vigo Bowl from Indiana State University Campus:
- Take Fifth Street south to Walnut Street and turn left.
- On Walnut, go four (4) blocks to 9 1/2 Street.
- Vigo Bowl is located a half mile south of campus, near Walnut and Ninth Street.
Directions to Terre Haute Bowl from Indiana State University:
- Take US 41/Third Street south four (4) miles.
- Travel under Interstate 70 to Springhill Drive.
- Turn left onto Springhill Drive.
- Terre Haute Bowl is located four miles south of campus just off US 41 on Springhill Drive.
Directions to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology from Indianapolis:
- Take Interstate 70 West out of Indianapolis.
- Take exit 11 (US Highway 46) and turn right (north) onto US 46 (US 46 turns into 55th Street).
- Travel north on US 46/55th Street four (4) blocks until you reach US 40/Wabash Ave.
- Turn right onto US 40/Wabash Ave.
- Rose-Hulman will be on the left hand side of the road with main entrance near top of hill.
Special Olympics Indiana apparel, gifts, and novelties will be sold in the Souvenirs Tent (located in Olympic Town) for the duration of Summer Games. We have extended the hours to include Saturday night during the Dance. Be sure to stop by the Souvenirs Tent before or after your volunteer shift and check out all of our great merchandise! Proceeds support Special Olympics Indiana athletes.
It’s June, and we know it will be hot! Water is available for all volunteers at the Water Stations throughout campus.
Special Olympics Indiana events are rain or shine events, so barring extreme weather (i.e. tornadoes, thunderstorms, hail storms) all competitions will begin at their scheduled times. We are relying on our volunteers, so please don’t let a little rain keep you away. The athletes are counting on you!
Should we encounter extreme weather, check the Special Olympics website for any cancellations or postponements. (Please note this is extremely rare – do not expect cancellations or postponements.)