2020 Shine Contest
What Does it Mean to Shine?
Like much of the world, Special Olympics Indiana has responded to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic by suspending regularly-scheduled activities through June 30, 2020. Millions of people in Indiana and across the nation are doing their part to help limit the spread of this coronavirus by staying home and practicing social distancing as recommended by the CDC. As a result, you may be growing bored and restless, missing your friends and the thrill of competition, and looking for ways to connect with the outside world. Well, here’s your chance to shine!
We want to hear from you and to share what you’ve been doing with our community of followers across the state. Let’s lift each other up, put some smiles on the faces of our friends and family, and share a little joy. Let’s get creative and #shinetogether!
Inspired by athlete leaders across the state who have wasted no time in reaching out to their friends and creating and sharing encouraging videos and social posts, Special Olympics Indiana’s 2020 Shine Contest is your chance to stay connected to our movement and to earn some cool souvenirs in the process.
From now through the end of May, we’re asking athletes and supporters to use videos, photos, or any media you like to answer one of the seven questions below and to show the world how brightly you can shine!
Who are you hanging out with?
Introduce us to your family member, friend, roommate, or even your pet!
What are you doing to stay active?
Share your home workouts, favorite School of Strength or Fit5 activity.
What’s your favorite boredom buster?
Share how you are staying in a good mood or inspiring others to stay up beat. Share your creative, fun, interesting, clever, zany, or tried-and-true way you keep from being bored.
How are you maintaining a healthy diet?
Show us your favorite healthy snack, drink, or meal and tell us how you are keeping up a healthy eating routine.
What makes you the biggest sports fanatic?
Tell us about your fandom for your favorite sport or team. It can be a local, national, or international team/player in any sport.
What do you miss most about Special Olympics?
Tell us what you miss and feel free to share poems, stories, songs, photographs, or drawings.
How are you “brave in the attempt?”
***For ALPs University students/graduates only*** Show us the Athlete Leader! Describe what it means to be a leader in these tough times. Share leadership stories from your community.
The contest is now open! Our first winner will be announced Tuesday, April 7 and we’ll continue to share winning submissions each Tuesday through at least June 2. Please read the full contest rules for more information…and then get to work!
Trouble uploading your files? Contact us for help.
- Submissions may include video or audio recording(s), photos, illustrations, poems, or any other type of media.
- All submissions must be made via the web form on this page. Media submitted via email or other means will not be considered.
- Uploaded files should be no larger than 500 MB each.
- Audio and video recordings should be no longer than 3 minutes in duration.
- Submissions that contain inappropriate language or offensive content will not be considered.
- Contest opens Wednesday, April 1, 2020 and ends Sunday, May 31, 2020.
- Two (2) prize winners will be named each Tuesday (April 7 – June 2) following a random drawing of all eligible participants (athletes only). *Winners will not be determined based upon perceived quality of media submissions. Top submissions may be shared on the Special Olympics Indiana website or in digital newsletters and on social media.
- Each athlete winner will receive one (1) $25 gift certificate redeemable for the purchase of souvenirs at future Special Olympics Indiana events. Non-athlete supporters are not eligible for prizes.