The Special Olympics Healthy Athletes® program, made possible by the Golisano Foundation, offers health services and information to athletes in dire need. Overall, more than 1.7 million free health examinations have been conducted in more than 130 countries. In the process, Special Olympics has become the largest global public health organization dedicated to serving people with intellectual disabilities.
Through the Healthy Athletes® program, Special Olympics Indiana athletes receive free screenings in a fun and welcoming environment. This often removes the anxiety and fear that individuals with ID experience when faced with a visit to the doctor or dentist. Our mission is to improve each athlete’s health and fitness, leading to enhanced sports experience and improved well-being.
The Special Olympics Indiana Healthy Athletes disciplines (clinical director in parenthesis):
- Healthy Hearing (Carolyn Garner, MA, CCC-A and Steffanie Standish CCC-A from Indiana University)
- Opening Eyes (Katie Connolly, IU School of Optometry)
- Special Smiles (Armando Soto Rojas, from IU School of Dentistry)
- Health Promotion (Mary Ciccarelli, MD, from Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health)
- Fit Feet (Kenneth Stumpf, DPM, Community Podiatry North & West)
Statistics show that individuals with ID do not always receive the health care attention they need. Our team impacts the health of our athletes significantly, in some cases life-saving treatment is given to athletes by discovering unknown health issues or providing health care that otherwise would have been available.
Healthy Athletes provides basic health care screenings and testing to SOI athletes at no cost.
Any SOI athlete who has a valid medical form on file is eligible to participate in the Healthy Athletes program.