2020 Athlete Leadership Webinar Series
Special Olympics Indiana’s Athlete Leadership Program (ALPs University) empowers athletes to develop leadership skills and utilize their voices and abilities to undertake meaningful leadership roles, influence change in the Special Olympics movement and create inclusive communities across the state and throughout the world. As athletes gain the confidence that comes with achievement, they feel empowered and ready to take on new challenges to make use of all their abilities.
Each Saturday from April 18 through May 30, 2020, we’ll host a series of free webinars covering a wide variety of athlete leadership topics. All webinars will begin at 10 a.m. ET and include 6-8 sessions, each lasting approximately 15-20 minutes. Participants will interact with presenters and participate in the sessions via the Zoom web conferencing platform, while others can watch and comment on Facebook Live.
NOTE: Only those who register below and join each webinar via Zoom will be able to interact with live questions and responses. Those joining via Special Olympics Indiana’s Facebook page will only be able to see the presentation, hear the conversation, and listen to the Q & A. Facebook viewers will NOT be able to ask questions or interact with the instructor/participants.
How to Participate
- Use the form on this page to register for one or more sessions of our Athlete Leadership Webinar Series.
- Upon completion of the form, you will receive a message and a confirmation email containing a Zoom Meeting ID and Password. Both are needed to join.
- Download the Zoom application to your computer or device before your first selected session begins.
- Use the provided Zoom link or Meeting ID and Password to join each webinar 3-5 minutes before it starts.
- Before each session begins, the facilitator will explain how to ask questions and interact with the instructor and other participants. Please follow these instructions to help us provide the best experience for everyone.
- There may be limits to the number of individuals who can participate in a given Zoom meeting. If you are unable to join us via Zoom, please watch on Facebook Live.
How to Watch
- Do NOT complete the registration form on this page.
- Like or follow Special Olympics Indiana on Facebook, or visit https://www.facebook.com/soindiana/live during any scheduled webinar broadast.
- Watch, learn, and comment/share as much as you like. Please remember that Facebook viewers (and commenters) will not be able to ask questions or interact directly with the instructors or participants.
All sessions begin at 10 a.m. ET. Additional schedule details will be added as they are available.
April 25: Overview of ALPs University
Instructors and ALPs alumni give a description of each major, benefits of enrolling in a given major for the Athlete Leader, and lead a Q&A for the remaining time. Last session gives mentors an overview of the role. Open to any athlete interested in ALPs University.
May 2: Athlete Leadership Showcase
Athlete Leaders from across Indiana share what they’ve been doing to help others stay active and upbeat during our collective downtime as we “Stay at Home” together.
- Watch the recording on Facebook.
- Meeting Notes: How to Make a Podcast
- Meeting Notes: How to Share Videos
- Meeting Notes: How to Share Crafts & Activities
- Meeting Notes: How to Get your Delegation Going with Zoom
May 9: Butler University presents “Health & Fitness”
In a pre-recorded informative video, Butler University students guide athlete leaders through each of the eight topics covered by an ALPs University Health & Fitness Major. Health Messengers lead live Q & A sessions after viewings.
May 16: Basic Leadership Skills
Leaders from across Indiana identify some basic leadership skills that can be applied to nearly any situation and share how they’ve used these skills to meet their leadership goals.
May 23: Athlete Input Councils
An overview of our recent efforts to give athletes a more prominent voice in matters of local, area, and state program management. Representatives of Athlete Input Councils (AICs) discuss how to organize, lead, and participate in an AIC.
May 30: ALPs Mentor Network
What does it mean to be a mentor to an athlete leader? Hear from experienced ALPs mentors about their experiences and find out why this opportunity might be a good fit for you.
June 6: Virtual Summer Games & Our Current World
Join us for a special bonus edition of our Athlete Leadership Webinar Series as Special Olympics Indiana staff discuss the upcoming 2020 Summer Games Sports & Fitness Challenge and athlete leaders explore the role of Special Olympics in relation to current events and societal issues.
- 10:00 AM: Virtual Summer Games – Sports & Fitness Challenge Activities
- 11:00 AM: Virtual Summer Games – County vs. County Competition
- 11:45 AM: Virtual Summer Games – Flame of Hope Torch Run, Opening Ceremonies, and Virtual Dance
- 12:30 PM: What is the role of Special Olympics in our communities?.
- 1:30 PM: ALPs University – What Happens in the Fall?