Athlete Leadership Webinar Series Returns!
After a successful spring season, the Athlete Leadership Webinar Series returns! SO Indiana invites all athlete leaders to join us for these Saturday online gatherings. Each session is an group discussion on a wide variety of topics. Beginning at 10:00 AM Eastern, sessions last between 2-3 hours depending on the topic.
NOTE: Only those who register and join each webinar via Zoom will be able to interact with live questions and responses. Those joining via Special Olympics Indiana’s Facebook page will only be able to see the presentation, hear the conversation, and listen to the Q & A. Facebook viewers will NOT be able to ask questions or interact with the instructor/participants.
All sessions begin at 10 a.m. ET. Additional schedule details will be added as they are available.
Please use the buttons and links below to register for each Webinar you’d like to attend. Registration for ALPs University is separate — visit our main Athlete Leadership page to learn more.
Special Olympics Indiana is one of the first US programs to offer Special Olympics International’s new SO FitNow fitness app. Athlete leaders will learn about the new app features, how to create an account, how to track progress and goals, and how to navigate the system. Athlete leaders also will discuss how to recruit friends and teammates to join. Finally, they will help SOIN brainstorm future virtual fitness challenges.
With ALPs University’s fall semester going online, athlete leaders will join us in testing new activities that are part of Special Olympics International’s new curriculum. Whether an athlete leader is taking “Introduction to Athlete Leadership” or “Understanding Leadership” in October, their input will guide us in creating the new online format. Athlete leaders – help us make ALPs University even better!
Join us for a brand new session within our Athlete Leadership Webinar Series as we explore the life lessons we can learn from the Marvel movies. Whether a hardcore Marvel Avengers fan or you’ve never seen the movies, you can learn something from our discussion. Up first – Remembering Black Panther. Recently, Chadwick Boseman passed away from colon cancer. He played Black Panther, a fictional character. But Boseman also played real life heroes Jackie Robinson and Thurgood Marshall. Join Chris Akers, veteran volunteer, and Ben Gregory, athlete leader, as we look for life lessons from the Avengers and Black Panther movies. See you on Saturday, September 12 at 10:00 AM Eastern.
The fall semester of ALPs University is entirely online. Taking a class online is very different than being in-person. Find out about the technology needed to participate. Discover how the online version will work. Chat room? What’s a chat room? Learn about online etiquette – how to be polite in a virtual world. This session occurs one week in advance of our online ALPs University – October 10-11. Join us to be fully prepared!
How to Participate
- Follow the link for each Webinar you’d like to attend and complete the registration process.
- Upon completion of the registration form, you will receive a message and a confirmation email containing a Zoom Meeting ID and Passcode. Both are needed to join.
- Download the Zoom application to your computer or device before your first selected session begins.
- Use the provided Zoom link or Meeting ID and Password to join each webinar 3-5 minutes before it starts.
- Before each session begins, the facilitator will explain how to ask questions and interact with the instructor and other participants. Please follow these instructions to help us provide the best experience for everyone.
- There may be limits to the number of individuals who can participate in a given Zoom meeting. If you are unable to join us via Zoom, please watch on Facebook Live.
How to Watch
- Do NOT complete the registration process on Zoom.
- Like or follow Special Olympics Indiana on Facebook, or visit https://www.facebook.com/soindiana/live during any scheduled webinar broadast.
- Watch, learn, and comment/share as much as you like. Please remember that Facebook viewers (and commenters) will not be able to ask questions or interact directly with the instructors or participants.