The Special Olympics Healthy Athletes initiative is designed to help Special Olympics athletes improve their health and fitness. Developed in 1996, Healthy Athletes mission is to improve each athlete’s ability to train and compete in Special Olympics as well as life.
The key objectives of Special Olympics Healthy Athletes are:
- Improve access & health care for athletes at event-based and other clinics;
- Make referrals & recommendations for follow-up to local health practitioners;
- Train health care professionals, students, and others about needs and care of athletes;
- Collect, analyze, and disseminate data on the health status and needs of athletes;
- Advocate for improved health policies and programs for athletes.
Special Olympics Indiana currently offers Fit Feet, Health Promotion, Healthy Hearing, Opening Eyes, and Special Smiles.