Weather to Impact Plans for EKS Games This Sunday (UPDATES)
With heavy rains expected in Indianapolis throughout the weekend, some adjustments to our plans for the first weekend of the 2018 EKS Games are needed. (SEE UPDATES TO THE ORIGINAL POST BELOW).
All indoor competitions and events (Volleyball, Healthy Athletes) are expected to go on at Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory Academy as planned, while outdoor activities (Corn Toss (see below), Flag Football, Distance Run/Walk, EKS Fest, etc.) will go on in the rain but may be subject to delays or cancellation in the event of severe storms, lightning, or unplayable field conditions. All delegations are asked to be patient and to bring games or other distractions to help pass time in the event of a delay.
Read on for more information about our updated plans to minimize these disruptions. And if you haven’t already, please sign up to receive text alerts with the most up-to-date information by texting 18EKS to 84483.
With significant water accumulation already becoming problematic in areas at Brebeuf, additional measures will be taken to ensure the safety of all competitors and to create the best possible experience for everyone involved. Additional changes to our original plans include:
- All outdoor events scheduled for the Softball Field have been cancelled. This includes the Skills Competition and the Soccer All-Star Experience. Athletes scheduled to compete in these events are welcome to attend the Games and take part in Healthy Athletes screenings, etc.
- Several outdoor activities have been moved indoors and will be held in and around the school’s cafeteria. This includes all lunch offerings, souvenirs, the midday ceremony and entertainment, and awards for all sports.
- Flag Football and Distance Run/Walk competitions will go on as scheduled, weather permitting. Any cancellations or delays will be announced via the text alert system (see above).
New Venue for Corn Toss
In an effort to ensure that our largest competition of the weekend will go on as planned, all scheduled Corn Toss events will be moved to Carmel Middle School and held indoors.
Morning competition will begin at 10 AM to allow additional travel time and to accommodate those delegations that may need to split between two venues, while afternoon events will go on as originally scheduled following a reduced lunch break. View or download updated brackets and court schedules below.
- Carmel Middle School is located at 300 S. Guilford Rd. in Carmel, approximately 15-20 minutes from Brebeuf (Map and Directions).
- Delegation check-in will be located just inside Door 3 on the East side of the building (View Campus Map). After check in, all competitors will be assigned to one of three gyms.
- Lunch will be provided in the school’s cafeteria but options will be limited to sandwich wraps. Additional restaurants and food options are available near the school.
- Seating and additional space for spectators will be extremely limited. Please plan accordingly.
- Coaches and parents will be called upon to help with scoring and to serve in other volunteer roles as needed.
- The coaches meetings originally scheduled for 8:30 AM will instead be combined into a single meeting and will be held at 9:30 AM at Carmel Middle School.
- A small selection of souvenirs will be offered at Carmel Middle School throughout the day.
New and Updated Corn Toss Resources:
Updated Plan for Distance Run/Walk
To minimize damage to the course at Brebeuf and to keep Distance Run/Walk participants out of the woods during inclement weather, all DRW events will be held on the grassy area near the school. Weather permitting, participants in the 3K will do three laps, and those scheduled for 5K will do five laps. The one-mile walkers will complete a 400-meter loop four times to finish the mile distance.
Please encourage all participants to dress for the weather and to plan to get somewhat wet. A second set of dry clothes and shoes is highly recommended.